Lisbon Lions, I Campioni d'Europa 1967

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 18/2/2010, 13:36     +1   -1

CELTIC LEGEND

Group:
Dirigenza CSC

Mi sembra giusto far conoscere la storia del nostro club attraverso i campioni del passato. Comincio dal portiere di Lisbona, Ronnie Simpson, inserendo il centenuto di wikipedia. starà poi ad ognuno ritenere se affinare ulteriormente la ricerca.

Ronnie Simpson

Portiere

Ronald "Ronnie" Campbell Simpson (11 October 1930 — 19 April 2004) was a Scottish football (soccer) goalkeeper. He is mainly remembered for his time with Celtic, where he was one of the Lisbon Lions, the first British team to win the European Cup in 1967.

Simpson started his senior career with amateur club Queen's Park. When at Queens Park, Simpson was selected by Matt Busby to play for the Great Britain side in the 1948 Summer Olympics. Simpson moved to and Third Lanark, and then Newcastle United. He won the FA Cup twice with Newcastle, after taking over as their regular goalkeeper from Jack Fairbrother. He then returned to Scotland with Hibernian.

Thought to be in the last throes of his career, he was transferred to Celtic in 1965 as cover for John Fallon. Simpson's anticipation, handling and maintaining his concentration during long periods of inactivity, made him an ideal goalkeeper for the attack-minded Celtic; and he soon won the Celtic number one place from Fallon. The highlight of his time at Celtic was winning the 1967 European Cup Final. Although having little to do during the match, his fancy footwork when dealing with a backpass was one of the highlights of the match.In 2002 he was in Celtics Greatest ever team and beat Patrick Bonner to the best Celtic Goalkeeper ever.

Simpson also played for the Scotland national football team, making his debut at the age of 36 in the famous win over England 3–2 in 1967.

Personal and later life
Simpson's father Jimmy Simpson also played for Scotland, and enjoyed notable success as a centre-half for Rangers and Dundee United in the 1930s. After he retired as a player, he was manager of Hamilton Academical for a year. He also served on the pools panel, which guessed results of postponed matches in periods of exceptionally bad weather. He was also a Conservative Councillor on Edinburgh City Council in the 1970s.

He died from a heart attack on 19 April 2004.

Honours As a player

Newcastle United

FA Cup winner: 1952, 1955

Celtic

European Cup (1)
Scottish League champion (4)
Scottish Cup (3)
Scottish League Cup (5)

Edited by McGiro - 21/11/2011, 17:41

view post Posted on 21/2/2010, 12:41     +1   -1

CELTIC LEGEND

Group:
Dirigenza CSC

come gustoso episodio su ronnie simpson, ricordo il momento in cui a lisbona uscì dall'area per sventare un contropiede dell'inter e scartò mi pare sandro mazzola con un colpo di tacco.
HH

view post Posted on 21/2/2010, 12:49     +1   -1

CELTIC LEGEND

Group:
Dirigenza CSC

Jim Craig

Terzino (Destro)

James "Jim" Philip Craig (born 7 May 1943 in Glasgow) is a retired footballer who played as a fullback. Most closely associated with Celtic, he was a member of their Lisbon Lions side which won the 1967 European Cup.

A conscientious student at Glasgow's St Gerard's School, Craig's first senior side was the Glasgow University representative side, which he played for while studying dentistry at the institution. He joined Celtic in 1963, on amateur terms, so as to allow him to complete his studies and having done so, signed as a full professional in January 1965.

Craig's abilities and style of play matched manager Jock Stein's tactical philosophy and he soon displaced Willie O'Neill and Ian Young as Celtic's regular right back. Stein encouraged his fullbacks to overlap the side's midfield to provide additional support to the forwards, in the style of the modern wing-back role, and in Craig and left back Tommy Gemmell he found willing protagonists.

During his tenure at Parkhead, Craig collected 14 domestic honours as well as a European Cup medal in 1967. He made 231 appearances for Celtic scoring 6 goals. He won one cap for the Scotland national side.

Craig left Celtic to live in South Africa in May 1972, where he played for Hellenic FC, however after 6 months he returned to Britain. He joined Sheffield Wednesday, with the South Yorkshire side paying Celtic £10,000 compensation, as they had retained his registration. He retired from football in 1973, to concentrate his efforts upon his dentistry career.

In July 1974 he succeeded Shay Brennan as player-manager of Waterford United. However in December, without playing a game, Craig informed the club that he was unable to commit to the role due to a "domestic problem". In 2001 he was made Honorary President of the Belfast Shamrock Celtic Supporters Club.

Jim Craig is now actively part of the Celtic community, he currently hosts Channel67 an online streaming service which provides video streams and audio streams of every Celtic match.

His son James Craig was a notable rugby player.

Edited by McGiro - 21/11/2011, 17:41

robylon80
view post Posted on 21/2/2010, 13:30     +1   -1

Grande Jim e il mio mentore prima durante e dopo tutte le partite del Celtic in quanto è fisso su Channel 67.

JIMMY GLESGA
view post Posted on 22/2/2010, 07:35     +1   -1

Come citato in calce al topic iniziale, il figlio è stato un buon giocatore di rugby, ha fatto parte anche della nazionale Scozzese impegnata nel Six Nations

view post Posted on 22/2/2010, 15:49     +1   -1

CELTIC LEGEND

Group:
Dirigenza CSC

Prosegue la carrellata dei nostri campioni del passato. scorrendo la formazione dei lisbon lions oggi tocca a big tam tommy gemmell, autore del gol del pareggio nella gara di lisbona.
scaricato (per così dire) da jock stein, si prese la rivincita su big jock conquistando una coppa di lega con il dundee fc che battè ad hampden park il celtic 1-0 con gol di wallace, in una delle finali più brutte e strane della storia della competizione. infatti si giocò il 15 dicembre del 1973 ad hampden di fronte a soli 27,924. in piena crisi energetica britannica, si giocò con calcio d'inizio alle 13 (a quel tempo non si potevano giocare gare di calcio alla luce dei riflettori). un celtic favorito giocò palla lunga e pedalare a causa del fondo ghiacciato di hampden. nel lungo batti e ribatti di quel gelido pomeriggio wallace approfittò di un errore difensivo biancoverde siglando il gol della storica vittoria del dundee fc.

Tommy Gemmell

Terzino (Sinistro)

Thomas Gemmell, detto Tommy (Craigneuk, 16 ottobre 1943), è un ex calciatore britannico, nazionale scozzese.

Ritenuto tra i migliori della storia del CeltiC, Gemmell ricopriva il ruolo di terzino sinistro. La sue principali caratteristiche erano il tiro molto potente e l'abilità nel battere i calci di rigore. Nella sua lunga militanza con la maglia dei Bhoys biancoverdi, Gemmell ha totalizzato 64 reti in 418 presenze; ha battuto 34 rigori sbagliandone solamente 3. Fu un pilastro dei Lisbon Lions, squadra che vinse la Coppa dei Campioni 1966-1967. In questa edizione della competizione segnò 4 reti, tra cui il gol del pareggio nella finale vinta 2 a 1 contro l'Inter. Gemmell segnò anche nella finale dell'edizione 1969-1970, persa contro il Feyenoord dopo i tempi supplementari. Detiene tuttora - insieme a Phil Neal - il titolo di unico britannico ad aver segnato in due diverse edizioni della Coppa dei Campioni. Nel suo palmarès figurano 6 campionati scozzesi, 3 coppe di Scozia e 5 coppe di Lega scozzese. La sua attività in Nazionale scozzese ebbe inizio il 2 aprile 1966 - all'Hampden Park di Glasgow - in una partita persa 4-3 contro i rivali dell'Inghilterra nel Torneo Interbritannico. L'anno seguente prese parte alla famosa vittoria scozzese ai danni dell'Inghilterra in una partita valida per la qualificazione al campionato d'Europa 1968 (3-2). Segnò il suo primo e unico gol internazionale in data 17 maggio 1969, in una straripante vittoria casalinga sul Cipro (8-0), valida per la qualificazione al campionato del mondo 1970. L'ultima partita da lui giocata con la maglia scozzese è datata 3 febbraio 1971, persa 3-0 in casa del Belgio, e valida per la qualificazione all'campionato d'Europa 1972. La sua carriera internazionale si concluse con 18 presenze, una rete, ed una espulsione. Ritiratosi dal calcio giocato a 33 anni, Gemmell si è poi dedicato per brevi periodi all'attività di allenatore: Dundee (1977-1980) ed Albion Rovers (1986-1987 e 1993-1994).

Nel 2002 è stato inserito nella Miglior formazione di sempre del Celtic votata dai tifosi; nel 2006 è stato introdotto nella Hall of Fame del calcio scozzese.
(da wikipedia)

Edited by McGiro - 21/11/2011, 17:43

marktheromantim
view post Posted on 23/2/2010, 19:15     +1   -1

complimenti boretim.
Nonostante fosse un terzino aveva un ottima dimestichezza con il goal.Senza dubbio tra i più grandi anzi il più grande terzino che abbia mai giocato nel celtic.

view post Posted on 25/2/2010, 15:21     +1   -1

CELTIC LEGEND

Group:
Dirigenza CSC

Sempre da wikipedia. fortissimo mediano, gran tiro, ma soprattutto grande personalità. tenne testa in qualche situazione al grande jock stein. una volta big jock lo mandò in inghilterra in una tenuta agricola perchè smaltisse i chili in eccesso e lo reintegrò nella rosa solo dopo che murdoch effettivamente perse i chili in eccesso!!

Bobby Murdoch

Mediano

Robert "Bobby" Murdoch (17 August 1944 — 15 May 2001) was a Scottish professional footballer who played for Celtic and was one of the Lisbon Lions, the Celtic team who won the European Cup in 1967. He and Bertie Auld formed Celtic's brilliant central midfield.

During his time at Celtic, he won eight Scottish League titles, four Scottish Cups and five League Cups, as well as the European Cup medal. He also played in the 1970 European Cup Final, when Celtic lost 2-1 to Feyenoord. His later years with Celtic were marked with injury problems but his importance to the success of a great Celtic team was such that when Jock Stein was asked when he thought Celtic might win the European Cup again he replied "when Bobby Murdoch is fit"

He left Celtic in 1973, and joined Middlesbrough, as Jack Charlton's first signing, and tutored the young Graeme Souness. He made 125 appearances for Middlesbrough before his retirement from active play in 1976. He then took up the role of juniors' coach.

He won a total of 12 caps for the Scotland national team, scoring 6 goals.

He had a brief, unsuccessful, spell as manager of Middlesbrough between 1981 and 1982, ending with his departure shortly after the club were relegated to Division Two. His job at Middlesbrough had been made difficult by the fact that the club had sold star players such as Craig Johnston, David Armstrong and Mark Proctor, leaving a badly weakened squad. Of those signings made, only Dutch midfielder Heini Otto proved successful.

Murdoch then had an unsuccessful spell as a publican that ended in debt but in his last years he had a role helping at Celtic Park with match-day hospitality.

He died, aged 56, following a stroke, in the Victoria Infirmary, Glasgow. He is one of the Celtic greats.

Edited by McGiro - 21/11/2011, 17:28

JIMMY GLESGA
view post Posted on 25/2/2010, 18:28     +1   -1

R.I.P. Bobby

JIMMY GLESGA
view post Posted on 26/2/2010, 07:16     +1   -1

p.s. : Bobby Murdoch realizzò un'eccellente goal nella semifinale di ritorno della Coppa dei Campioni 1969/70, giocata contro il Leeds Utd e disputata ad Hampden poichè Parkhead non avrebbe potuto contenere la massa "oceanica" di spettatori che infatti si attestò in 136.505 presenze, record tutt'ora in carica per le competizioni calcistiche europee a livello di club e nazionali.
A corredo, segnalo il link :
http://www.kerrydalestreet.com/page/1970-0...d,+European+Cup

4max
view post Posted on 26/2/2010, 08:00     +1   -1

che partita deve esser stata quella.. il 2-1 finale e i 130.000 spettatori..

marktheromantim
view post Posted on 26/2/2010, 21:28     +1   -1

un'altro grande della storia del celtic.

view post Posted on 1/3/2010, 09:19     +1   -1

CELTIC LEGEND

Group:
Dirigenza CSC

E' l'unico dei lions che ancora siede in panchina come kit man (non so bene cosa significa questo incarico), ma lui è sempre presente. fu un prezioso collaboratore di mcneill nel primo periodo di caesar come allenatore del celtic. uomo mite ma arcigno in difesa, ma una parola o un polemica.
come dovrebbe essere un calciatore.

John Clark

Difensore (Centro)

John Clark (born 13 March 1941) is a former Scottish footballer and member of the Lisbon Lions.

Born in Larkhall, Lanarkshire, he was part of the famous Celtic team that won the European Cup in 1967. John is perhaps the most undervalued player among the Lisbon Lions team, his subtle sweeping up in the half-back position beside Billy McNeil was integral to the success of the team. His role as Celtic's sweeper earned him the nickname "The Brush."

Clark earned four caps for Scotland. He left Celtic for Morton in 1971, where he retired two years later. Clark enjoyed a managerial career with Cowdenbeath, Stranraer and Clyde in the 1980s and early 90s. His son Martin also became a professional footballer, with Clyde, Notingham Forest and Partick Thistle in the 1990s.

Experience in the world of sport is usually gained by an individual who has endured a long-spanning career, perhaps participated in a high profile competition or world-class event, and if fortune has been on their side, they may have grasped a piece of silverware for the trophy cabinet.

Experienced is therefore a fitting adjective to describe In The Winning Zone’s ‘Past Master’ for December. Boasting almost fifty years’ participation at the highest level of sport in this country, John Clark has accumulated most of the rewards going in his chosen sport, and he played a major part in placing his team on the world footballing map.

His club office is a remarkable room. After an exchanging of handshakes, he abruptly apologises for the strong stench of leather that clogs up the air, wafting from the boxes of brand new footballs and columns of boots, which line the walls. Four colossal cupboards resemble the kind of high-security vaults that may be found in a bank. These cupboards are jammed full with what seems like an endless amount of shorts, socks, jerseys, jumpers and jackets.

After a quick guide of the surroundings, he offers a cup of tea. No longer than five minutes later a platter of tea and toast arrives at the door. As one of the best defenders in the country in his day, you can be sure that he hasn’t treated all the visitors who have come to his football club with the same hospitality throughout his football career.

A local lad hailing from North Lanarkshire, John Clark is best known as being one of the few Scottish owners of a European Cup medal, which he won as part of the legendary Celtic team who overcame Inter Milan in Lisbon on the 25th May 1967 to become the first British club to claim the trophy.

Following his retirement from football, Clark moved into the managerial side of the game, taking control of Cowdenbeath, Stranraer and Clyde, before returning to Celtic to take up his current role as kit man. Now at sixty-six years-old, he still bursts with as much energy at the club he supported as a youngster as he did when he was a player all those years ago, back in the heart of the action.

Clark explains that football was his only vice as a youngster. Due to the fact that there was no frequent bus service from North Lanarkshire to Glasgow, Clark was unable to attend many first-class football matches, especially to watch Celtic, his boyhood team.

“When you were young in my time it was either boxing or football. I came from a mining village called Chapelhall. Football was at the centre of my life when I was growing up, I played for as many hours as daylight would allow. I started playing at my local school and then my local boys club Larkhall Thistle.”

At seventeen years of age, many teenagers have yet to begin planning their lives or career paths. In 1958, a seventeen-year-old John Clark was approached by the same club that employed his boyhood heroes to sign him as a player. “I was fortunate enough that Celtic approached me to sign for the club. I was seventeen at the time and I felt as though I had won the pools!” exclaims the living legend.

However, as is the case in life, signing on the dotted line did not mean Clark was ensured a place amongst the 11 men who emerged from the tunnel at Celtic park week-after-week.

“At the beginning when I moved to a big club like Celtic it was hard. There were a lot of good players of my own age along with some professional players at international level, so I had to put the work in and eventually I made it into the team.”

Lucky enough to be taken under the wing of one of this country’s greatest ever managers, Jock Stein, Clark believes that the successes of arguably the most outstanding Celtic team of all time are down to the advanced tactical nature of his biggest influence. According to the kit man, it was special relationship that started at youth level, between Jock Stein and his players, which helped to bring about such unprecedented success.

“The person who influenced me most was Jock Stein. Before he left Celtic to go to Dunfermline and Hibs he was in charge of youth and reserve football at Celtic. He had a knowledge of the youth players in the team before he left and when he came back in 1965, we had experienced and progressed in first team football while he had progressed as a manager”

Indeed, Clark believes that along with a sense of unity within a team who had originated from within a 30-mile radius of the club, the successes of the famous Celtic team were down to the coaching ability and awareness of Stein.

“Jock Stein was a thinking man.” Clark recollects, “He was miles ahead of the situation at the time. I see training situations out on the training pitch now; Jock Stein was doing the same thing forty years ago. They have broken it all down into programmes whereas we would do it in block. The man was ahead of himself. He went to Italy to study some training methods and eventually people were coming to Celtic park to study Jock’s training techniques.”

Handed the role of sweeper by Stein, Clark played a pivotal role in the backbone of the Celtic line-up. A large amount of defensive responsibility lay on his shoulders in the lead up to their European Cup victory in 1967.

A tour to North America, the first of its kind for Celtic, in the summer of 1966 played a crucial role in the gelling of the team. Clark believes that the tour played a central role in the outstanding season the team had when they returned. “Naturally when you are away for 6 weeks, the team bonded. There was a sense of togetherness within the team. It was the start of big things for Celtic.”

The tour also gave Jock Stein the chance to perfect his Celtic team, and the manager’s thinking paid off. During the 1966-1967 season, Celtic won the League championship, Scottish Cup, League Cup, Glasgow Cup, and of course the European Cup in a distinctive year for the Glasgow club. Not only did they have a clean-sweep of victories on home soil, they also won the most sought-after trophy in European club football.

“I remember it was a really warm day. The whole setting was ideal, it was just as if a film was being made, we were going to win and everything was just right” Clark recollects of the infamous summers day in Lisbon.

“There was a fantastic crowd all around the stadium when we came out, the whole arena looked as if it was bedecked in green and white. Celtic played really well that day. If people are being honest about it, the Inter Milan goalkeeper saved them from getting a real punishment with regards to goals”

The 1966-67 season brought an abundance of silverware to John Clark, but it also brought his first International cap. In the early summer, before a Celtic tour to America, Clark pulled on the navy blue jersey for the first time in his career. Aged 25, Clark was arguably at the peak of his career.

And it was a special occasion for the defender, against one of the best teams in the world, featuring one of the most outstanding footballers of all time “My first international was against a Brazil team which featured Pelé – he was the king. The fact I was playing against him almost took my mind off the game, but I managed to stay focused and we drew 1-1” he recalls.

The pinnacle of a somewhat outstanding playing career for Clark obviously involves lifting the European Cup in 1967, but while reminiscing, he places his life into perspective. Although he may have achieved the pinnacle of European football, he stands by the elation of being accepted into top-flight football as a teenager as an overwhelming feeling.

“If the highlight of your career when you’re a footballer is to win, then it was the 1967 European Cup victory. But when you’re a young boy and the opportunity arises to play for a club you have always supported then that’s a big thing as well.”

John Clark has played against the best, worked alongside the best, and been managed by the best. But how does a sportsperson with so many years of experience and success translate winning? “The drive to be successful,” he ponders. “If you want to be a success at any level you need to strive towards goals. You need to make sacrifices”

His passion for the sport is evident from his occupations, which have all been based around football. “Next year, if all goes to plan, I will have been 50 years in football. In some way or another it has been connected with Celtic”

It has connotations of a romantic tale. A boy who was approached to sign for the club he adored. He was a teenager who matured into a Celtic team that has been carved into the annals of Scottish and European football.

Forty years later he is a man with fond memories of a euphoric playing career, and he is still infatuated with the sport.
Having experienced one of Scotland’s greatest sporting club successes, John Clark progressed from a boy with an ambition, to a man, one of only eleven, who can call himself a Lisbon Lion.

Edited by McGiro - 21/11/2011, 17:33

JIMMY GLESGA
view post Posted on 1/3/2010, 12:38     +1   -1

Kit man ? fa il magazziniere all'atto pratico ... :blink:

view post Posted on 2/3/2010, 13:20     +1   -1

CELTIC LEGEND

Group:
Dirigenza CSC

si si, so bene cos'è kit man, ma non capisco il fatto di portarlo in panca. se si voleva dargli visibilità, era meglio affidargli un altro incarico. e comunque lo ringrazierò sempre, perchè ha procurato 2 biglietti a me e mio papà in un tutto esaurito contro gli hearts. thanks a lot john !
HH

42 replies since 18/2/2010, 13:36   681 views